Thursday, August 21, 2014

Epic Camp D2 - Lillooet

In Whistler we stayed at the Whistler Athletes Center, where the hosted athletes during the Olympics.  Very nice.  We got up and bicycled out to a lovely lake where they do the Ironman swim (Alta Lake).  On tap to start the day was an Aquathon:  2k swim followed by a 6k run.  I was predictably at the back end out of the water and as it was only day two and I felt fresh, I caned the run.  Still slow relative to the other athletes, though.

Then back to the center, pack up our stuff, brekkie, and were off on the bikes to Lillooet.  There is a routine to each day:  do some training early (as early as 6am), then pack up all the stuff to be loaded for transport to the next venue, day bags in the van, luggage in the U-Haul.  You can't get breakfast until you've brought your day bag down, as per Super Dave Dwan, the ringmaster of this traveling circus.  A sensible rule that helps to keep the show rolling.  Brekkie, then on the bikes to the next destination.  Depending on the length of the ride, more training in the afternoon ("tack ons" for points) after lunch / rest/ catching up.

I tried for an easy tack on / recovery ride -- since we had done by my count 20k in the morning biking up to Alta Lake -- I figured we only needed 10k more to get the 30k ride tack on (one point).  After conferring with one member of the rules committed, Phil, Gary, and I headed out for 14k.  Got back and was getting settled in for the evening when Gary tells me another committed member said we needed 6k more.   Not sure how that worked but I couldn't be arsed at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment