Thursday, August 28, 2014

Epic Camp D9 - Sunwapta

First day where I felt truly shit, where the legs never came round.  I've been fatigued throughout camp but able to push thru after warming up.  The 3 hour trail run yesterday depleted my reserves, apparently.

However, day did start off well.  Day wasn't scheduled to get off until 7:30am (relatively late for camp).  Got my first good night of sleep the entire camp, then short bike up to picturesque Pyramid Lake for a morning swim.  Quick breakfast and then we were off on the ride to Sunwapta.  10k into the ride and the day's KOM up to Marmot Basin kicked off.  Molina took off like a bat out of hell and was quickly out of sight.  Unfortunately, he ended up taking a wrong turn and we never saw him again until Sunwapta.  I tried to keep up with the group but it simply wasn't happening.  One by one everyone went up the road from me.  View from the ski area was lovely over the Athabasca river valley, and Bardsley finaly got his bear siting (up the ski slope about 200m).  After the regroup the group headed back down.  A few stayed behind with Bardsley and were plotting out how best he should strategize his bonus points sessions vis-a-vis what Newsom had planned.  Wheels within wheels.

Ride down the Icefields Parkway was beautiful, and I was riding by myself at my own pace, and got to enjoy it.  Into Sunwapta and off for our minimum 10k run.  Another hilly tricky trail run.  Whereas yesterday I was hyperfocused on foot plant, today I kept spacing off and paid for it, rolling my ankle once and biffing it twice, doing my hand no favors.  Only a flesh wound.  Shannon, Gareth, David, and Leah were kind enough to check on my condition and wait up for me.  Do bears smell blood, the way sharks smell blood in the water, was I believe, the essential question.

Run done and that is all for today.  Hope to feel better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment