Monday, August 25, 2014

Epic Camp D6 - Blue River

Day 6 done and dusted.  Still a lot of day left but Mark did so much bodywork that I want to take the remainder of the day and let things continue to heal.

Got up early knowing I had to get my swim in, starting no later than 7 in order to finish on time and be ready for the ride.  I fiddled about and watched the super ambitious getting out before the sun was over the horizon for the 6k bonus swim.  It was quite chilly out and could not muster the will to get going until just of 7.  Once I got in the water though it was quite warm (wetsuit) and enjoyable.   Swam one clockwise circumnavigation of the lake (just under 2.5 as I swam it), then did a lap down the lake to where we had dinner the previous night and back to get over 3k.

Light breakfast of a couple of pieces of toast and peanut butter and started riding at 9.  Everyone seemed to be set on riding their own pace, so the group quickly spread out over the road.  A group of four of us stayed together for the entire ride:  Molina, Doug, Kid Stanford, and I.  We hit a long climb early in the ride and Doug was immediately off the front up the road.  We EVENTUALLY caught up to him a few kms after the top of the climb, though whether we caught him or he sat up to wait for us I could not say.

Doug can ride.  I forgot to mention y'day that he's in the 55-59 age group.  Doug leaves a vortex in his wake, but the thing is it only extends about one millimeter off his skinny ass, so "drafting" Doug is as good as riding on the front.  Doug is still only sixish months into recovery from a serious accident from what I understand, which forced him out of IM New Zealand this year.  If this is indication, I predict he will slay all and sundry next year.

Doug seemed suitably chastened from yesterday's shenanigans and rode sensibly all day.  We all took turns on the front and made relatively short work of today's ride:  68 miles in 3h 20m with just under 3000 feet of climbing.

Then on to the 10k run.  Whilst others were doing bonus sets (10k under X time gives you Y points), I just did easy 5 and a half minute kms.  Like a moron I ran down the freeway when apparently there is a nice trail just 50m from where we are staying that goes around a lovely lake.  In my defense, I am tired.

We saw a couple of bears a 100m or so up a river from a bridge we ran over.  Others went to the "River Safari" just down the road and apparently saw three more bears.  I guess that's one (of many) things that distinguishes this Epic Camp from others:  mega fauna / apex predators.

Job done for day six.

No comments:

Post a Comment